Friday, April 03, 2009

Successful day

It's been quite an exciting day on the national, local and personal levels for me today. First of all, on the national level, today Iowa became the third state to legalize same-sex marriage and the first in the Midwest to do so. It was a unanimous 7-0 decision by the Iowa Supreme Court to uphold the equal protection provision of Iowa's state constitution to include same-sex marriage as equal to heterosexual marriage. There's a rally tonight at Union Square that I would totally attend if I lived in the city.

On the local front, I've been working on promoting an appearance by Katelynn, the transgender cast member of MTV's The Real World: Brooklyn, and spoke to her by phone today. She's on a national tour of college campuses and I caught up to her in Pennsylvania. We spoke for about 15 minutes about her presentation on May 20 at the Polyamorous NYC meeting, and her experience with the media. After we hung up I informed the Board that we'd finally made contact and confirmed her appearance. I drafted a couple of announcements that will be posted in the LGBT Center's monthly newsletter and Web site and sent them out for review. I'm looking forward to meeting her next month, and we have a lot of work to do to promote her talk in the next few weeks.

On the personal front, I landed the interview with the agency I submitted the writing test for, and thankfully, they want to see me on April 15, the same day as the next PolyNYC meeting in the city. So that works out great for me since I'll already be planning to be in the city. It would be fantastic if I got this job - since it's only a block away from my old office, I wouldn't have to change my commute at all.


Widget_logo