Thursday, April 02, 2009

Fantasy books and movies

I am really excited about the news that my favorite fictional character, Anita Blake, is going to star in an original television movie on the IFC channel, according to this press release. Of course I'd prefer if she got the big budget of a theater release, but maybe that will come later. Something to look forward to for next year anyway.

In other book and video news, I just finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire this morning and loved it - it made me cry at the end. I ran out this afternoon and checked out the DVD from the library and I'll watch it tonight when it gets dark. I also finished Annette Curtis Clause's werewolf tale Blood and Chocolate yesterday while sitting in the hair salon and it was better than I expected it to be so I'll watch that on DVD soon as well.

I've also been itching to dive back into Neil Gaiman's epic Sandman series and finally finish the four gorgeous Absolute editions sitting on my shelf. Reading Absolute editions is like watching movies on my big screen - it makes it hard to read or watch things in smaller sizes. Since I'm not ready to tackle that reading project yet (I intend to read them concurrently with The Sandman Companion) I'm going to start with another series I've been collecting, John Ney Rieber's The Books of Magic series.

This series continues the original story of the same name penned by Neil Gaiman and I've owned Volumes 5 through 7 for a while now, but only read Gaiman's book and the first volume of Rieber's series. Last night I placed an order for Volumes 1, 2 and 4, and the original issues that make up Volume 3 (because the trade paperback is out of print and extremely rare). So I'll have the first seven books to read and decide if I want to continue collecting them. If they are as good as Mike Carey's Lucifer series then I'll definitely like them.


Widget_logo