Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Facebook

Everywhere I look, people are asking me to join Facebook, and so far, I've resisted. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out. Because next thing you know I'll be Twittering and who knows what else down the road. Why can't people just pick up a phone and reach out to talk to each other?

One of the reasons I started blogging in 2005 was that my circle of friends was expanding and it was a way for me to let people know what I was doing without my having to write separate emails to everyone. In a way it has worked, in the sense that there are some people who follow my life that I have little contact with otherwise. Once in a while they will drop me a comment or email, but we not involved with each other's day-to-day lives. The exception is my friend Linda, with whom I exchange long and candid letters every week or so, but then, we have both always been writers at heart.

That's why this idea of constantly letting people know what's happening in your life through electronic updates doesn't really appeal to me. I'd rather get the story in person when we meet, even if it's infrequently. Perhaps my relationship with Tara has also spoiled me, since she's the only person who I talk to on the phone every day. It's hard for me now to imagine having a meaningful relationship with someone without hearing their voice every day.

I suppose that to some of my younger, hipper readers this sounds terribly old-fashioned. But the truth is that social media technology doesn't serve the purpose if it doesn't bring people closer together. And for me, the only way that happens is real-time communication, on the phone or in person. And hugs, lots of hugs.


Widget_logo