Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Fire anniversary

I went to see Monsters vs. Aliens in 3-D with my family at the freebie movie theater on Tuesday. Bee had an unexpected day off so we saw the early show at 2:30 in the afternoon. It was a fun movie, and I remembered from watching Coraline to wear my contact lenses so I didn't have to wear two pairs of glasses. There was one annoying child sitting behind us that we had to shush repeatedly, and for some reason, another child came up behind me during the movie and touched my hair, which startled me. I'm sure they didn't mean any harm by it though.

It was a soggy day in the city today, but at least the rain was light. I got my writing test done - one part was to write a press release for 3M announcing the development of Post-It Notes as if it were invented today. The position they are recruiting for is Director/Managing Supervisor for the New York office of a PR firm based in Minneapolis, MN. It's an impressive title, at least. We'll see if I get an interview next week, probably.

Afterwards I went down to Chinatown for my hair salon appointment for the first haircut I've had in almost a year. I also got my coloring done so that it's again close to my natural color with a little bit of red highlight for texture. I might go for something a little more daring once I get a job because my stylist - Edison - likes to experiment on me and I've generally been very pleased with the results.

Finally, I will also mark today as the fourth anniversary of the April 1, 2005 house fire that was the catalyst for so much change in my life, including my move from Houston to New Jersey. We don't often have events where we feel like we're given a second chance at life, but this was one of those close calls. As it turned out, no one was hurt and the disaster gave me the fresh start that I was secretly hoping for, and I think I've made the most of it.


Widget_logo