Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Vamp it up

Three of my favorite vampire franchises have new content this year, which I’m greatly looking forward to reading and watching. First up is the new Sookie Stackhouse novel, Dead Reckoning, by Charlaine Harris, which comes out May 3. I’m going to have to re-read the last couple books to remember what’s been happening in that world.

Surprisingly, I’m not a huge fan of the hit show True Blood. It seems to be headed downhill after only the second season, and Bonnie already told me the third season is crap (with Sookie getting some weird superpowers that she doesn’t have in the book). If I wanted to watch people get random superpowers, I’d have stuck with NBC’s Heroes – another great series that fell off quickly and died.

Then a major new Anita Blake novel by Laurell K. Hamilton, Hit List, publishes June 6. This follows the short novella Flirt released last year, but this one really looks like something you can sink your teeth into. I still don’t understand why no one has made a TV or movie adaptation of the Anita Blake world. I love the characters so much, flawed as they are. And reading the books helps me get into that BDSM headspace that I’d like to know better.

Finally, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 opens on November 18. I’m not sure if I want to re-read BD before that, or come into it relatively cold and take the movie on its own terms. Besides, the second installment in 2012 is the one I’m really looking forward to, when Bella’s a vampire and the showdown with the Volturi happens with all of the Cullen’s allies. Seeing that world open up beyond the borders of Forks (like when they went to Volterra) will be fun to watch. I don’t know if Puck is going to let me drag them to see it, but we’ll see.


Widget_logo