Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Retreating

I find it quite telling that today, separately and unbeknownst to each other, Tara and I both got excited about the Enterprise space shuttle coming to the Intrepid Museum in Manhattan. Puck and I are already thinking about going to see it when it gets here. Maybe we'll bump into Tara and Bug there this summer...

I've been feeling the need to hide a bit from the world. I think the Houston trip took more out of me than I care to admit. Possibly there's other complications on my mind. But I'm definitely trying to pull back a bit and focus more on living with intention, rather than just accepting what comes.

For example, Poly Cocktails was Monday, and I really didn't feel like going. Yes, I had the weekend at home, and yes, Puck came to visit on Sunday and we had nice times together to make up a bit for missing each other Friday night. But if I didn't have to bring nametags and flyers for the event, I would have stayed home.

But since I had to follow through on my commitments as OLNY president, I decided it was going to be a hug-free visit. So instead of customary hugs, I just shook hands with everyone, which definitely threw some people off who are used to being greeted with hugs. But besides my own defensive feelings at the moment, it also served as a useful reminder about our verbal consent rules.

I discovered last time that it really irks me when I hug someone and they plant a kiss on me, usually on the cheek or neck. For me, that's overstepping boundaries when I'm hugging you. So no more casual hugging, which means I'm only going to hug people I have a genuine emotional connection to.

I don't have any more social obligations this week, and Passover is next week, so I'm looking forward to some family time, which has been absent since the holidays. We'll see how I feel after that.


Widget_logo