Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Dinner with Ben

I sent Bonnie an email Saturday night, extending an olive branch and suggesting we might end our five-month silence. I don’t think she’s going to respond. But at least I can say to myself that I tried to be friends.

Last night I had dinner with Ben, my old boss and mentor. We ate barbecue at Goode Company and talked for three hours about all sorts of things – clients, work, money, travel, relationships, colleagues and current events. He and his partner of 20 years, Bob, are going through counseling together, and apparently are doing well after a rough patch earlier in the year. He’s coming up to New York over Labor Day and staying a few blocks from my apartment, so we’ll probably see each other in a few months.

Things here are not quite as busy as last November when we did this shindig in Houston, maybe because we’ve all been through it before and a lot of the groundwork is already done. So I’ve actually been able to do a lot of other work along with helping the electric vehicle team.

The last three nights I’ve been waking up between 3 and 4 am and having trouble getting back to sleep. I think it’s a combination of too much caffeine and sleeping in an unfamiliar bed with a loud air conditioner. At least it’s much better than the inflatable bed in the hotel I stayed in last November. I also had all kinds of weird dreams last night, but they’ve faded by now. They weren’t terribly interesting, just weird. I miss being home and I miss my bed.

I’m on the final section of Winter’s Tale, and it’s getting to that sweet spot in a good book where everything is starting to fall into place, all the storylines are converging, and you can’t wait to see what happens next, but you want the end to last as long as possible. So I’m digesting it carefully one page at a time, savoring every word. I’m excited to finally finish this book after having it for so many years.


Widget_logo