Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Chicago

I actually had a very fun day off on Monday, in what I characterize as a “date with myself.” I started out early enough in the morning to tumble out of bed and head down to the Ambassador Theater a few blocks away and buy a rush-priced ticket ($36.50) to Chicago, now the 5th longest running show on Broadway and now starring supermodel Christie Brinkley in the role of Roxie Hart.

I went from there directly to the Empire AMC movie theater to see Thor for the bargain matinee price of $6, which is less than half the price of a movie in Manhattan (the 3D showing at the Ziegfeld cost $16.50, for example). I was glad that I could see Thor in 2D, actually. The movie was alright, probably in the upper part of the second-tier of superhero movies (the top-tier being movies like The Dark Knight, Batman Begins and the first Iron Man).

After the movie I went home and quickly made my curry chicken with livers and hearts and had a quick lunch before heading down to Union Square to see my endocrinologist for my bi-annual checkup. That didn’t take very long and I got a clean bill of health, so I was out of there quickly. I walked down 14th Street to the Loehmann’s to get some color safe shampoo and conditioner, and then back to Union Square to Nordstrom Rack and Sephora to get some other cosmetic items before going home to take a nap before the show.

My seat in the theater wasn’t in the front row like I’m used to, but certainly worth what I paid for it. The show was sexy and clever, although all the big musical numbers seemed to be stacked in the first half before intermission, so the second half dragged a bit. I’m a big fan of the movie by Rob Marshall, which is probably one of the most energetic movies ever made.

By comparison, the acting wasn’t quite as good (especially Ms. Brinkley, who starts out very wooden, but loosens up over the course of the play until her natural charm starts to peek out). But of course, there is no substitute for seeing live dancing, bodies moving in real space in real time, and true acoustics from the live big band orchestra on the stage.


Widget_logo