Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Porgy and Bess

I saw a curious sight on my way to work – the rear half of a taxicab wedged into a garage doorway too small for it. I wonder why anyone would want to saw a car in half in the first place.

So, because of Newt Gingrich, polyamory and open relationships are all in the news these days. There was a reporter at the Columbia Journalism School who wanted to feature me and Puck in his article, but we turned that down (although we both granted him separate interviews). I also had a lengthy interview with another Columbia grad student who is working on a documentary. And my friend Diana was quoted last week in a New York Times story and might be in an upcoming cover story for TIME magazine. It’s a pretty exciting time to be poly, somewhat like it was in 2008 when I was first came out.

Puck and I have been spending a lot of quality time together and it’s been very affirming for our relationship. They surprised me with a visit on Monday (the 30th) and we had a nice dinner at the Palm which was full of good food and conversation. Snuggles are always nice too!

We’ve also been playing Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe on the PS3 a lot lately. We went through the DC half of the Story Mode to unlock Darkseid as a playable character, and now we’re going through the MK side. Nothing like blood and violence to keep a relationship strong.

If you follow me on Facebook, you know I’ve been working on a visual model to represent the human gender expression. I got a lot of feedback on my first version, so a revision is in the works.

Friday night I went to the MMMM and met a new couple from Philly, Sean and Aurora. Also got to hang out with Beth, Kiwi and Ilan. Saturday night we saw Porgy & Bess with Puck’s family and it was really good. I think I saw it once as an opera when I was little and I remember it being very sad and gloomy. It’s still sad and even horrifying in parts, but seeing it as a somewhat grownup, I enjoyed how jazzy Gershwin’s music is (“I Got Plenty o’ Nuttin,” “There’s a Boat Dat’s Leavin’ Soon”).

Puck stayed over the rest of the weekend and Sunday we went to the gym to swim some laps in the pool and have a sauna. It’s about the only exercise they can do right now to start building their cardio back. Then in the evening they stayed home while I went up to Jonathan and Miriam’s apartment for my first yoga class with master yogi and calligrapher Emily Haydock. It was challenging and I’ve gained a newfound appreciation on how strong yoga practitioners have to be. I’m hoping this will be a weekly routine, since it’s very affordable and with familiar people.

I’ve also paid for classes in Japanese sword cutting, as I mentioned in a previous post (“A sword story” – Sept. 12, 2011) I’ve been interested in learning that art for some time. I just have to schedule them at times when I can out of work early so I can get back into the city in time. That may be a difficult thing to do until the annual report project is done in March.

Last night, Kacey invited me to join her and Becker (her bf) out to see aMios presenting Shotz, a series of spontaneous, hilarious and sometimes heart-warming short plays that are fearlessly written, rehearsed and performed within one month. Each one included the famous quote from hockey great, Wayne Gretzky: “You miss 100% of the shots you never take.” It was in the Under St. Marks theater, where I’ve been before to see a burlesque show a couple years ago. Kacey had a friend in the performance; she played a Barbie doll among a set of three Barbies in a child’s closet – it was hilarious!

Tonight Kacey and I get some alone time to watch a movie and catch up. Wednesday is Women’s Poly Group, and Thursday Piper and I were going to continue our movie marathon with Alfred Hitchcock’s Spellbound, but she's starting a new job this week so we'll try again next week. I miss talking to her at work since her temporary assignment ended, but I'm so proud of her that she got an awesome new job right away! I’m looking forward to us all spending time together at Wicked Faire next weekend.


Widget_logo