Monday, February 20, 2012

Pre-Wicked update

It's been way too long since I've posted, and so much good stuff has happened. I really do need to be better about updating, or else just take one of my rare breaks from blogging altogether.

The Saturday before last was Open Love NY's CineKink screening of the movie Three by Tom Tykwer, the director of Run Lola Run. As sponsors of the screening, O Man and I got to say a few words to the audience beforehand, so we got a little publicity out of it for Open Love NY. The movie itself was okay, except that until the very end, it wasn't really about polyamory. It was all non-consensual non-monogamy, or cheating, until the very end.

So the best thing I can say about it was that it had a "hap-poly" ending, or a happy ending attributable to polyamory, which would have otherwise been a sad ending for at least one of the characters if poly was not considered a viable choice. Now someone needs to make a sequel in order for it to truly be a poly-themed movie.

Monday night was Poly Cocktails, and one person came up to me to say that my speech at CineKink inspired him to come out after a prolonged absence from the poly scene - that touched me. Puck came for the first time in a long while and they had lots of fun being immersed in the queer/poly/kinky bubble for a while, especially after being with their family all weekend in Vermont.

Normally, Puck and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day, but since this year we happened to be together on Tuesday, we had a little improptu recognition. I gave them a card at Poly Cocktails, and got us some theater tickets to see, appropriately, "A Midsummer Night's Dream" two months hence on April 14. We also went out for dinner Tuesday night at Sosa Borella, an Italian-Argentine restaurant nearby in the Theater District.

Thursday night Piper and I had dinner at the Tick Tock Diner near Penn Station (I'd only ever been to the one in New Jersey, but I have fond memories of it). I had a wonderful Crabcake Benedict, which is two perfectly poached eggs with hollandaise sauce and paprika; one of them on a crabcake and the other on a bed of sauteed spinach. Since my least favorite part of a traditional Eggs Benedict is the English muffin and Canadian bacon, this is a great improvement for me. It's kind of an Benedict-Florentine-crabcake mashup dish, but it works beautifully.

Afterwards we went back to my place to continue our Hitchcock marathon with Spellbound, starring Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman. Next up is another Bergman feature and one of Hitchcock's best: Notorious, with Cary Grant.

Funnily enough, it was only 24 hours later when I saw Piper again at Wicked Faire this weekend in Somerset, NJ. This was our "friendiversary" because Puck and I met Piper at Wicked last year. I'll write about this weekend's excitement in my next post, so stay tuned :)


Widget_logo