Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Vampires galore

Just a quick post before things get hectic this week. Tomorrow I'm meeting my friend Simon to discuss a freelance assignment for his Vortex Healing practice, followed by my women's polyamory group meeting. On Wednesday Polina and I are attending the regular Polyamorous NYC meeting (where I won't be presenting), and Thursday we are taking Lori out for her birthday to see an off-Broadway production of Vampire Lesbians of Sodom.

This week I neglected to mention that I've finally finished watching all five seasons of Joss Whedon's Angel - that means I have now seen every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly, Whedon's enduring contribution to the television zeitgeist. Of course, I am also in the middle of a Firefly marathon that should conclude on Saturday, but I've already seen all those episodes once before.

I'm also reading Laurell K. Hamilton's latest Anita Blake Vampire Hunter novel, Skin Trade while at the same time shuttling the older Anita Blake novels to Penny for her to read. She has to get through Micah, Danse Macabre, The Harlequin and Blood Noir before she can read the latest book, but at her reading pace that shouldn't take long at all.

Tara and I went out to the mall today and had a nice time walking around and shopping for various things. It's been a long time since we've had alone time together that was peaceful, although we did get into a spirited discussion over lunch about our philosophical differences in several areas. She's trying to be better about not wanting things out of her relationships that are not forthcoming, something I've encouraged her to do.

At Borders I bought Charlaine Harris' book Club Dead so I could continue the Sookie Stackhouse series once I'm done with Anita Blake. Unfortunately, it's only available in mass-market paperback, so that's only the second such book I've bought for my library since 2005 (I despise reading mass-market paperbacks and will always choose hardcovers or larger format paperbacks if available).

I also bought a DVD of the movie Sunshine, directed by recent Oscar-winner Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting, 28 Days Later). It's a very cerebral sci-fi movie that's less about action and more about humanity in space, and reflects Boyle's unique artistic vision. I'd heard good things about it, but haven't seen it until tonight, and it's an interesting film that I will probably have to see a couple more times before I can fully appreciate it.

Last Sunday I went to Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx for a walking tour with one of my lesbian meetup groups. I mostly got excited about seeing some cricket matches being played on pitches in the park areas. Here's a little video I shot of a bowler (the guy running and tossing the ball) and batsman scoring a couple of runs - as the fielder chases the ball, the two batsmen run back and forth between the wickets, scoring runs until the fielder returns the ball to the wicket keeper (the only fielder wearing gloves):

Cricket in Van Cortlandt Park


Widget_logo