Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Movies and music

I filed my income tax returns for federal, New York and New Jersey today - it's the first time I've done my own returns in decades. Of course, the last couple of years have been a bit complicated due to my shifting life circumstances, so I preferred to get professional help. In 2008, as I've said, my life has been reasonably stable, so I thought it would be nice to save some money on tax filing.

Yesterday I went out to the movies by myself and saw Slumdog Millionaire, the Best Picture Oscar winner this year. The only thing I can say is that it's a good movie, but it reminds me so much of Forrest Gump, but set in India. It's a tale of an extraordinary life, a lifelong love, and overcoming the obstacles set in our path. It's an enjoyable ride, but not really the kind of movie that I'd see over and over again.

I've also made plans to go down to Fort Washington outside of Philadelphia on March 1-2 for the Second National Polyamory Leadership Summit. It's a follow-up to a meeting in New York that I was invited to help moderate back in October following PolyPride, but I couldn't attend because we had plans to visit MOMA that day. We're expecting about 40-50 poly leaders from all around the country to discuss the future of the movement and how we want to move forward with a unified purpose.

I've been listening a lot to my live concerts of Linkin Park and Muse that I got for Christmas, and it's inspired me to think about putting together a mix of live concert music from different bands. Those bands, plus U2, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Peter Gabriel and Jeff Buckley, have incredible performances on DVD that deserve to be heard as much as their studio recordings. The trick is to capture those performances on mp3 so I can put them on a CD. I have the equipment to do it, but wiring it all up is a bit daunting, so it's something I'll let marinate for a bit.

I also pre-ordered the Borders special edition of Twilight on DVD which comes out March 21 which includes a bonus disc and postcards. That will be kind of neat to see again on my home theater.


Widget_logo