Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Sneddon's and skin rashes

It was a pretty up and down weekend with some very pleasant parts in it, especially Saturday night when Tara and I stayed up late and brought back memories of 2005 when I used to visit here from Houston.

On Sunday we drove down to Lambertville on the Pennsylvania/New Jersey border to eat at a favorite luncheonette called Sneddon's, which was like stepping back in time to the 1950s with its open grill counter, short bar stools and genuinely homey service (plus Bazooka bubble gum at the counter). I had blueberry pancakes, a sausage omlette and hash browns, hot chocolate and a Diet Coke.

Afterwards we ran some errands that were mildly unpleasant but necessary and drove back home. Unfortunately, being out in the sun for the full day triggered another skin rash on my face like I had two weeks ago, which seems to happen when I use anything other than my usual Clinique Superdefense SPF 25 moisturizer and get too much sun. So Sunday night was a bit of a downer for me.

I did get to listen to two new Sheffield Lab CDs that I found on this site. One of these two titles, Harry James' "Still Harry After All These Years," was a replacement for the limited edition vinyl direct-to-disc recording I used to have, and the other, Tower of Power's "Direct Plus!" I got because of a family connection with that group, so I thought I'd give them a fresh listen. While I will miss the incredible analog sound from those original vinyl records (which were recorded live to disc without using a tape recorder, a big deal in the old days) it's nice to hear songs like "Caravan" and "Moonglow" through Harry James' trumpet once again.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Widget_logo