Friday, February 01, 2008

Sexual harrassment dream

I dreamed last night that I was a victim of sexual harrassment at work. It didn't involve any real-life people or situations, so maybe it's a glimpse into the future. I was in unfamiliar surroundings, with unfamiliar people. I was getting things set up for a client meeting, bringing food in and that kind of thing.

One of the clients, a huge, 400-pound, sweaty man dressed in loose-fitting jeans and an oversize t-shirt (because that's all he could find that fit him), started coming on to me in the hallway when he caught me alone. He looked like the Kingpin, but without the white suit. He pinned me up against the wall and rubbed against me, and I could feel him through his jeans. I managed to brush him off gracefully and get away from him, but if that actually happened to me, I think I'd be too freaked out to handle it diplomatically.

Anyway....

Last night I watched one of my all-time favorite movies, El Cid, which I got this week in a gorgeous collector's box set. It's the first time in over a decade that the movie has been available in a digital format - the last time was a very expensive Criterion laserdisc version that I've seen but never owned. I used to check it out of the library on VHS, but this is the kind of movie that requires the best viewing experience possible.

Shot in 70mm panoramic, and featuring an inspired score by the legendary Miklos Rosa (who also did Ben-Hur and King of Kings), the high-resolution transfer looked absolutely gorgeous after years of seeing just the crappy VHS transfer. The restoration team did an incredible job on the picture, although the sound is still way subpar by modern standards. Still, it's the story that stands the test of time - romantic, powerful, sweeping yet intimate, there are so many memorable scenes leading up to the powerful, timeless ending. Plus, Sophia Loren looks smashing in black.

I've also just finished reading Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monologues which I checked out from the library. Very touching, sometimes funny and inspiring, often heartbreaking stuff. And what is with the apparent tradition of mothers slapping their daughters in the face when they get their periods??? Can someone explain that to me?

That bit about having periods reminded me of when my friend Pearl first got hers. She was so excited that she called me to let me know, and I came over and brought her flowers. I was happy for her, but a bit sad too because her growing up meant we were slowly growing apart. It happened the way it was supposed to, but the time that we were close is one of the few parts of my old life that I truly miss.

This weekend we're going to see the U2 IMAX movie on Saturday night, which I'm excited about. It's been a while since I've seen an IMAX, and the last one was at the American Museum of Natural History about dinosaurs. This one promises to be a lot more exciting. After all, what's more exciting than a rock concert by one of the most successful bands of all time?

Have a great weekend everyone!


Widget_logo