Monday, February 04, 2008

The effect of cooking

Here is a surprisingly candid article about polyamory in this weekend's edition of the New York Times:

"An Open and Shut Marriage" - Feb. 3, 2008

It was a lovely weekend, and I celebrated Imbolc by giving my apartment a thorough cleaning. I've also committed to sign on for another year's lease, so I'll be here at least until March 2008. I'm hoping to buy a house somewhere by next year, depending on how things go. I've been interviewing for a new job at a consulting company, so who knows what will happen.

Saturday night we saw the U2 concert in 3-D at the IMAX theater, and it was amazing! They are one of my family's favorite bands, we are all agreed. While I still think the U2 Go Home concert in Ireland was better overall, the 3-D effects were very cool. You can read the review in the New York Times here - they say it a lot better than I could.

U2 3D movie review - Jan. 23, 2008

Sunday I cooked my first homemade curry - ever - and tested out my new rice cooker. While it wasn't made totally from scratch, I got pretty close to the curry that I grew up with that my mom used to make, which is pretty good since I never actually learned the recipie first-hand. It's basically onions, garlic, potatoes, chicken, curry sauce and spices, chicken stock and coconut milk.

My family came over to watch a movie and I made them their favorite vegetable dumplings, and we all had rice together. It was probably the most home-like feeling I've had since moving here. Cooking for my family makes me feel like a mom, but in a good way. It connects me to the countless moments that moms, grandmothers, aunts, and female cousins spent in their kitchens cooking, socializing and bonding that I mostly missed out on growing up.


Widget_logo