Friday, May 11, 2007

Adam Pascal

It's been a busy week, and it's not over yet so I'll keep this short. The highlight so far was going to see Adam Pascal in concert on Wednesday at B.B. King's in Times Square with a new friend. He plays Roger in the original Broadway play and movie versions of Rent, and he has a blossoming solo music career as well with his latest album Civilian. He played bass and acoustic guitar and had a piano accompanist. He's really a very funny guy and let his personality show through in his performance. It was just weird seeing him in a buzz-cut since I'm used to seeing him on screen with long hair.

While the music and the company were nice, I didn't much care for the venue, which could best be compared to a comedy club in both layout and operation. There was a $10 minimum food purchase per person, per set, and the 15 percent gratuity was added automatically, which in my book is pretty cheesy. At least the service was good, so I wasn't as peeved about it as I could have been. My companion noted that they lost money on her, since she normally tips between 18 and 20 percent, but wasn't going to add any extra tip beyond what was required since she feels the same way I do about the practice. At least they didn't have a two-drink minimum, as some comedy clubs do (although they did try to push bottled water instead of tap water).

Acting class was cancelled last night, which was fine with me because I'm going out tonight to see a movie called Copying Beethoven at the Polish Film Festival, and I don't think I'd do well being out late three nights in a row. I'm going tonight with a couple more new friends - this will be our first meeting. It seems like it's been ages since I've been to a movie (the last one was 300) so this will be a nice change of pace for me. Also, it's nice to meet new people socially and continue emerging from my self-imposed cocoon a bit and see what the world has to offer.

I was walking down the sidewalk last week and a woman was walking the other way toward me. She stopped me and introduced herself as a spiritual reader and gave me a card. She said she could "read" that one of my chakras was blocked, and it's true that I had been dealing with some pent-up anger last week (but fortunately had a chance to expunge it last Saturday). I'm still a bit amazed that she could read that on me just from a quick glance on a busy sidewalk. I guess I have one of those auras that stands out like a beacon to people attuned to it.


Widget_logo