Monday, October 17, 2011

Making art

It's been a very balanced, relaxing weekend after a very quiet week when I actually spent four of five nights at home (Poly Cocktails on Monday being the only exception).

Saturday I went to the salon in the afternoon and got my hair recolored back the way it was in August, with deep jewel-tone red and purple layers. The colors had faded to light red and lavender so that it was much more noticeable. It was pretty in its own way and I got lots of compliments on it, but I prefer the more subtle deep tones that blend well with my natural base color.

I was talking to Taylor, one of the assistants I know at the salon about music and other things - she came to NYC from Scottsdale, AZ a year ago and now lives in Park Slope, Brooklyn with her boyfriend. I offered to make a dance mix for her since she's never heard of mashup music, and clearly, I have a thing for redheads (even straight ones):

Photobucket

After my hair was done, I went out to House PNJ for my second Sketchy Night party, and as usual, I was the first to arrive. I set up my computer and worked on my love letter project and gathering images for Taylor's CD. Kiwi, Dave and Beth showed up, plus Dee, Rhea, Theresa ("T") and a couple other people I didn't get introduced to who spent their time setting up in the kitchen to dye nylon rope for rope play.

Dave, Rhea, T and I walked to the train station together, and while Rhea worked on undoing the braids she made in T's hair, a guy sat down next to me and started complimenting my toes in a very creepy way. He said he liked my toenail polish, told me which of my toes he liked the best, asked if my toenails grew any longer, and complimented the pattern of my skirt. I did my best to ignore him, but he was persistent. I didn't have to put up with it long because I'm only a few stops into Manhattan, but it was really annoying.

Then, to top that off, I stopped by my grocery store to get a drink before going inside and as I came out, another guy basically asked me if I would like to have a one-night stand. I didn't even acknowledge that one, but by then I was super annoyed. Two propositions in one night! That what I get for making my hair look nice, I guess.

So today has been a cleaning day and working on Taylor's CD. I've been watching movies, ironing clothes, cleaning off the piles of bills on my kitchen table, washing dishes, etc. I went to the Fifth Avenue Best Buy and Staples for CD supplies and used a lovely image of Ganesha being a DJ (which goes well with my intro track that intones, "For tonight, God is a DJ"). I wrapped the CD in cotton ecru paper and sealed it with the same image on the disc itself and addressed it on the back. Here's what it looks like:

Photobucket

I'll probably actually hold onto it until next weekend when I know Taylor will be working since I don't get home from work before the salon closes on weekdays (unless I have to work from home again like I did on Friday because of train tunnel problems). The mix itself is a bit of a revision on the one I posted before to emphasize mashup and in order to fit on an audio CD:
  1. Intron - Robin Skouteris
  2. One More Dance! - Robin Skouteris
  3. Super Bass - Nicki Minaj
  4. Till the Torture Ends - Fissunix
  5. Against the Floor - Robin Skouteris
  6. 4 Minutes - Madonna featuring Justin Timberlake
  7. Drop Dead Pretty Girl YEAH - Jimmy Klok
  8. Slow - Kylie Minogue
  9. Circus Numb Encore! - Robin Skouteris
  10. Carry Out - Timbaland featuring Justin Timberlake
  11. Sweet Mix (Is Made Of These) - Robin Skouteris
  12. Starstruck - Lady Gaga
  13. If You Kiss Jesus - Robin Skouteris
  14. Rolling Till The World Ends - Jarod Ripley
  15. Seal It With A Peacock - Dylan Vasey & OneLove
  16. S&M Remix - Rihanna featuring Britney Spears
  17. L.O.V.E. - Robin Skouteris
  18. I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
  19. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) - Arcade Fire
  20. It's All Over But The Crying (Remix) - Garbage
I'm really happy that I'm making beautiful things and sending them out into the world to be enjoyed. It's been a really good exercise for me.

Finally, for those of you who haven't heard, I'm also writing a new public blog, a joint project with Leon, my vice president for Open Love NY. We're writing a poly advice blog called "Poly Wanna Answer" and you can find it at www.openloveny.blogspot.com.


Widget_logo