Sunday, August 28, 2011

Non-stop action

The rain is pelting windows outside, and it's almost 1:30 in the morning as I write this. Hurricane Irene is knocking on the door. I don't think this event is going to cause me to have to work from home, but I guess we'll see on Monday morning.

It's been a non-stop week of activity for me since my last post. Sunday I went to the American Museum of Natural History with Lori and we saw the Hayden Planetarium show, "Journey to the Stars." Mostly we talked about life, love, ex's, etc.

We had lunch at a Mexican restaurant and then wandered an indoor/outdoor flea market across the street from the museum. I bought some used CDs and some tea for Puck as a back-to-school present. Agnieszka loves flea markets and she would have loved this one - lots of antiques and vintage clothes and jewelry. Then we had dessert at Shake Shack and went our separate ways home.

Monday night I attended a reading by author Christopher Ryan of his book Sex at Dawn, an anthropological history of sorts about sex and monogamy. Lots of Open Love NY people where there, and I sat between friends Eric and Beth, and someone named Kim, whom I introduced to our group. The reading was really good, very funny and thought-provoking, but the venue was way overcrowded, so I left early because I was feeling a little hemmed in.

Tuesday was Open Love NY's monthly meeting, and Puck met me there. We had a pretty large turnout and a lively time at the diner afterwards before Puck and I went home together. Then Wednesday was the Poly Women's Group meeting at Whole Foods, and we had a big turnout there too - Katie, Therese and Kate from the last meeting joined me, Sylwia and two new women, Sarah and Olivia. We had a great conversation and before we knew it, it was past 10 pm. Sylwia and I had a nice catch-up after the meeting and in the subway on the way home too.

Thursday Piper came over to watch True Grit with me, and we had a very nice, chill evening together. Between her, Kacey and Puck, my apartment is seeing quite a bit of traffic these days, compared with the prior 11 months (although of course only Puck sleeps over). It's nice to have friends who I'm comfortable with and are comfortable enough with me to hang out one-on-one.

Friday I had a night to myself, which was sorely needed after so many consecutive days and nights of activity, stretching back to the previous Thursday. Today, Kacey and I were supposed to go to a Fringe NYC play together, but that got cancelled due to the hurricane, so I've been content to stay home and clean the apartment, watch movies and continue reading Kushiel's Legacy books all day, waiting for the rain.

It's now coming down quite hard, so I will go to sleep and see what tomorrow brings.


Widget_logo