Monday, January 26, 2009

Year of the Ox

Today is Chinese New Year, the year of the Ox. Nothing special planned for me, just wanted to mark it somehow.

I told my family the other night that when I look back on my time off, the biggest accomplishment so far would probably be reading a lot of Laurell K. Hamilton books. I'm on a quest to read all 18 of the books in her Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, and I'm on book nine (Obsidian Butterfly) at the moment, so I'm halfway there. I'm in the part of the character's storyline that has a lot of polyamorous and BDSM themes pertaining to shapeshifters, and I'm discovering that those characters are indeed more interesting than the vampires in the earlier stories. Despite their pulpiness, they are surprisingly rare at used book stores, so I'm checking out some titles from the library to conserve funds.

The other big news at the moment is that I've been invited to join the leadership council of Polyamorous NYC as the Communications Manager. I spent about four hours on the phone last night talking to some of the council members and other people about it, and I'm considering the offer (it's a volunteer position). The organization is going through a lot of changes right now, and I'm still deciding how much a part of it I want to be. A lot will depend on a leadership meeting we're having this Wednesday night and how things go with that.


Widget_logo