Monday, September 08, 2008

Rent closes Broadway run

After 12 years and 5,124 performances, Rent is finally closing its doors on Broadway:

'Rent' brings down the curtain on Broadway run - Associated Press

I saw the live performance of Rent twice in my lifetime. The first time, I fell in love with the opening song, "Seasons of Love," but otherwise I didn't really get what all the fuss was about. That was more than 10 years ago. However, with the second and third times Rent found its way into my life, via the movie version that I watched with my family a couple years ago here in New Jersey, and when we saw it last year on stage, it's hard to understate the enormous impact this show and its message has had on my life.

There's only now, there's only here,
Give in to love, or live in fear.
No other path, no other way,
No day but today!

While people can interpret the message of Rent in many different ways, I tend to distill it down to three things - love unconditionally, live in the moment, and be true to who you are. I think about how different my life was five years ago - even though the message of Rent didn't make it to me until last year when a lot of my big life changes were already in progress, they renew my reasons for making these changes every time I hear that iconic music.


Widget_logo