Thursday, January 17, 2008

Lesbian plays and shopping sprees

It's been a relatively quiet week, hence not much to blog about. I've been really busy at work too, dealing with a big internal project that resulted in a story that appeared on the BusinessWeek Web site.

I also went out with my friend Lori last Friday to see a Bare Bones production of a play called "She Like Girls" at the Lark Theatre. A Bare Bones production is like a final dress rehearsal in a large studio with minimal costumes, makeup and staging, performed in front of an audience of about 50 people. As you might guess, there were a large number of lesbian couples in the audience, and I'm sure many people probably thought we were one also, especially since Lori was kind enough to lend me her scarf when I had to remove my sweater.

I have in fact been slightly more active in the dating arena, but with not much to report. I had met a woman online last week and we were planning to meet on Saturday, but it didn't work out. I've decided that I'm just going to start meeting new people and developing friendships first, without the expectation that a relationship will follow. I think in a dating situation, it's harder to show someone the real me.

Sunday I took my family to the Brooklyn Art Museum, but we accidentally got on the tunnel instead of the bridge and got lost in Brooklyn. We explored the seedy waterfront area for a few dozen blocks before turning around and weaving our way back to Flatbush Avenue. Once there, we saw a nice exhibit of American watercolor landscape paintings, and the new feminist wing that recently opened. However, to our disappointment, most of the museum was closed for renovation, but at least we got to see the watercolors before they left. I also picked up a Degas calendar for my bedroom at the gift shop.

Tuesday night we all went to our local Borders, which is having a going-out-of-business sale to make room for a bigger parking lot. Everything in the store was 40% off, plus I had a 10% off member coupon. Some things, like the chai in the cafe, was 75% off, so we stocked up on that. I mostly got DVDs of old movies: collector's editions of Silence of the Lambs and Con Air, Outbreak, and the remakes of The Thomas Crown Affair and The Count of Monte Cristo. I also got a Sherlock Holmes collection and Marvel Comic's Ultimate Galactus Trilogy in hardcover, since I do love stories of that ilk (although I haven't seen Fantastic Four 2 yet). I leave you with this art from my friend Joanna's site - the end is near!

Photobucket


Widget_logo